June 12, 2015 06:55:36 UK
Manchester City have had a £25million offer for England forward Raheem Sterling turned down by Liverpool, it has emerged.
The reports surface just 24 hours after City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak promised manager Manuel Pellegrini the funds to rebuild his squad this summer.
“You will see us in the market bringing in high-quality individuals that fit within what we are aspiring to,” he told reporters.
“We want a squad which is able and has the capability and quality to win the Premier League, to compete and win the Champions League and be able to go all the way in two cup competitions in England.”
Arsenal and Real Madrid target Sterling has rejected the offer of a new £100,000-a-week deal to stay at Anfield, although manager Brendan Rodgers said last month he expected the 20-year-old to commit to the Merseysiders for the remainder of his current contract, which runs until 2017.
“Raheem has two years left and I expect him to see that two years through and continue to behave as immaculately as he has done,” he told reporters.
The new Bernabeu coach and former Liverpool manager, Rafael Benitez, admitted he “admires” Sterling at the news conference to confirm his appointment.
Liverpool’s sixth-place finish means they cannot offer him Champions League football next season, but under-pressure Rodgers will be loath to see his attack blunted by the loss of promising youngster Sterling.
Last season he lost free-scoring Uruguay striker Luis Suarez to Treble winners Barcelona, while England team-mate Daniel Sturridge saw his appearances restricted because of injury.
Manchester City are currently priced 3.75 to win the Premier League title next season and Liverpool are available to back at 21.00.
Don’t forget all Premier League matches are covered by the bet365 Euro Soccer Bonus, where you could earn a bonus of up to 100% on your returns on pre-match accumulator bets. T & Cs apply.
View all Soccer betting