July 17, 2015 11:09:37 UK
Roberto Martinez insists he has absolutely no desire to bring Manchester United’s Northern Ireland international defender Jonny Evans to Everton.
United boss Louis van Gaal is believed to be willing to let the 27-year-old leave Old Trafford but Martinez says the player will definitely not be heading to Everton.
Martinez has lost veteran defender Sylvain Distin and former Wigan Athletic star Antolin Alcarez this summer but says he is not interested in signing Evans, who has featured in 131 Premier League matches for United since making his debut for the club during the 2008/09 campaign.
I can tell you there is nothing true in that situation.
When asked if he was keen to sign Evans, former Swansea City boss Martinez replied: “No, there’s no truth, nothing. I know I’ve always said that I wouldn’t be commenting on any of the names that are shared around but I can tell you there is nothing true in that situation.”
Everton finished 11th in the Premier League last term and Martinez is determined to improve on that position in the 2015/16 campaign.
The Spaniard added: “The amount of money that is being used by the clubs in the league and the different budgets make it very competitive if you’re going to reach those top-four positions.
“We expect to be challenging for those places but we’ll have to do that in a different way, by taking time to build a solid group and by perhaps giving younger players bigger roles earlier than other clubs do.”
Everton are 3.75 to finish in the top six in the 2015/16 season and 15.00 to beat Arsenal 1-0 in the Asia Trophy final after edging past Stoke City earlier in the week.
Looking for more from bet365? Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or +1 us on Google+ for fun competitions, special offers & much more!
Don’t forget, all Premier League matches are covered by the bet365 Euro Soccer Bonus, where you could earn a bonus of up to 100% on your returns on pre-match accumulator bets. T & Cs apply.
View all Soccer betting