March 13, 2015 08:42:08 UK
Club president Florentino Perez has vowed not to let Gareth Bale become a scapegoat for Real Madrid’s poor form and promised the Wales flyer his full support.
The former Tottenham midfielder has come under increasing scrutiny from Los Blancos supporters since going for goal and ignoring the unmarked Cristiano Ronaldo in the 3-0 win against Espanyol in January.
The 25-year-old has managed 10 La Liga goals so far this season for the title-chasers but his future in the Spanish capital continues to dominate column inches.
Premier League giants Manchester United tried unsuccessfully to sign Bale prior to his record-breaking move to the Bernabeu in the summer of 2013, but Perez said there was no suggestion that he could be shown the door.
A 1-0 defeat by Athletic Club followed by an unconvincing Champions League performance against Schalke has heightened speculation under-fire coach Carlo Ancelotti is also facing the axe.
Perez said Bale had the club’s support and the backing of his team-mates, while insisting there would still be a clamour for his signature if Los Blancos decided to let him go.
“Gareth Bale is one of the best players in the world,” said Perez.
“The most important sides in the world fought for his services and will continue to fight for them.
“We must never forget his first year with this team, his first season and what he is capable of doing, [such as scoring] in the two finals in the European Cup and in the Copa del Rey.”
Real Madrid return to La Liga action on Sunday when they host Levante and are quoted 1.062 in the match betting. The draw outcome is priced 13.00 and the visitors are quoted 34.00.
Don’t forget, if the match finishes 0-0, bet365 will refund all pre-match Correct Score, Half-Time/Full-Time and Scorecast bets with our fantastic Bore Draw Money Back offer.
Got an opinion on this story? Join in the debate by contacting bet365 on Twitter, Facebook or Google+.
View all Soccer betting